1963 AUSTIN MINI MK 1 SUPER DE LUXE SPEEDWELL (RESTORED) For Sale
AUSTIN MINI MK 1 SUPER DE LUXE SPEEDWELL,1963
SPRINT STAGE 1
Chassis No. 373273
Hexagon Classics are delighted to offer this unique icon of British motoring history. Genuine Speedwell-tuned Minis are quite impossible to find these days, and this Speedwell-tuned Mini had remained hidden from the world since 1981. The Mini was stored less than 2 miles from John Sprinzel and Graham Hill’s famous Speedwell tuning garage, in Cornwall Avenue, Finchley, London.
After more than 36 months of painstaking, back-to-bare metal re-commissioning by Mini marque experts, this matching-numbers Austin Mini Speedwell has been brought back to its former glory. After a thorough media blasting using a rotisserie method, it was completely etch-primed and expertly painted in the original Surf Blue cellulose (code BU35) paint. A full pictorial record of the re-commissioning process is available to view. Retaining its originality at all possible stages of the professional restoration, parts were stripped, refinished and retained to continue the Mini's story, not to rewrite it. This was supplemented using British Motor Heritage Parts to maintain authenticity.
The extra Speedwell instrument gauges, including the rev counter, are all present. The car sits beautifully on BRM Speedwell alloy wheels shod with brand new period-correct Dunlop Sport Aqua Jet tyres. It also has its wonderful original Speedwell Formula wooden-rimmed steering wheel with polished spokes, Lucas headlamps, and Fiamm air horns.
• Original Austin driver’s handbook and Service Voucher booklet
• Substantial vehicle history, restoration file & invoices for works
• British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Certificate
• Austin Mini Workshop manual
• Austin Mini Oil Lubrication chart
• Austin Mini Sales catalogue and Austin Paint colour chart
• April 1963 Autocar magazine featuring Speedwell Mini
• Speedwell catalogues, price lists and period correspondence
• Blue V5 log book
• Last period Road Tax Disc and Historic MOTs
• Concours Trophy from Classics at the Villa
AMT 250A has undergone a sympathetic professional restoration at a cost of over £25,000, which was rewarded with a prestigious concours trophy win at Classics at the Villa. It remains 1 of just 52 Austin Mini 850 Super survivors still licenced for road use. The Mini is all ready for a new owner to enjoy or to show. This exceptional Mini can best be described as “collector-quality.”