1910 Straker Squire 15HP Windham Detachable Tourer For Sale
Vintage and Prestige are proud to offer this 1910 Straker Squire 15HP Windham Detachable Tourer For Sale
Engine - details above
Chassis no: 504
Straker originally manufactured steam wagons and buses, but turned to automobiles in 1906
Brazil, Straker & Co. was a highly respected British vehicle manufacturer formed in 1893 by Irish engineer J.P. Brazil and London motor agent Sidney Straker.
L.R.L. Squire joined the company in 1904 and by 1906, they had built 200 steam wagons and moved on to build gasoline-engine buses for the London Bus Company.
Their first car was built under a licensing agreement from the French-based Cornilleau St. Beuve in 1906, but by 1907, they were building cars of their own design in addition to 70 per cent of the London buses in a new factory, having moved from St. Philips Marsh in Bristol to the nearby suburb in Fishponds.
The company’s breakthrough year was 1910, with the introduction of a 15- horsepower model powered by a four-cylinder, side-valve engine, with 2,853-cc capacity. This engine was designed by A.H.R Fedden, a recruit from the Bristol Motor Company.
By 1917, Fedden had become Sir Roy Fedden and risen to the rank of chief designer. During the First World War, he convinced the company to take on aircraft engine repairs and manufacturing.
First owned by Hubert Ellis who lived on the outskirts or Cambridge, Mr Ellis passed away in 1940 and passed the car to his nephew H.E. Ellis a jeweler from Norwich. Due to the outbreak of war the Strake Squire was only moved to Norwich in 1950. Mr Ellis used the car regularly, refusing to advance to a modern car he took his handyman with him for when he was unable to swing the handle and start the car. CE 3728 left for America in the 60’s before returning to the Great Britain in the early 00’s.
This charming car is offered in excellent condition throughout. The body is finished in a brush painted maroon colour with and a faint grey coachline highlighting the body shape. The flowing wings are again brush painted and finished in black with a grey coachline.
The brass finishing wonderfully compliment the exterior colours, although the acetylene headlights have been converted to electric, the tanks remain on the running boards and are joined by other such features as; oil side lamps, side mirrors and a horn to the drivers side. The usual Wilmot Breeden Calormeter sits on top of the radiator shell and the body housing has been finished in the body colour.
The bulk head is adorned with a variety of makers plates, along with a Smiths speedometer and a Doxa 8day clock. The interior is finished in maroon leather, buttoned to the seat squabs and all in excellent condition. There is maroon carpet to the rear floor, which is piped, in the maroon leather. The door cards are finished elegantly with concealed door pockets, and a leather gimp around the edge, which is attached with some beautifully patterned brass fixings.
To drive she is simple and elegant, the 4 cylinder, 3Litre, 15hp engine fires straight away (with the correct starting procedure) and pulls you along the road comfortably, this truly is a magnificent Brass era car and a delight to drive.
A list of works completed by the current owner is detailed below.
Period March to August 2005 :
- Disassemble the gasoline tank into its items,the inside of the tank was encrusted by gasoline residues !
- Professional repair of the tank including coating of the inside.
- Service work on ignition system and carburettor, ignition system originally a magneto ignition.
- Service work on brake system. The brake construction on the rear axle consists
of two separate shoe brakes, each for foot and handbrake.
- Cleaning the entire cooling system.
- Provisional gasoline supply so that trial operation was possible.
Period Sept. 2005 - 03/ 2007 :
Extensive restoration work company Grossalber
- Electrification for certification road traffic,
- Electric head lamps made of stylish brass -interchangeable with the original carbide head lamps,
- original front and rear wings restored and hand painted with brush,
-running boards new in ash wood and aluminium sheet in the original design
- many further different works have been done.
Period April 2007 - 04/2008 :
- restoration of the entire interior with leader in burgundy colour - exactly according to the original including processing technology
- production of leather in Germany after the old type of leather tanning
- new black roof of "Sonnenland" without interior coating
In our showroom and ready for viewing.
A gallery of large high-resolution pictures may be viewed on our website.
Office the details below
Richard Biddulph the details below
Christoff Cowens 07772188037
We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :
The Caparo T1 is a British mid-engine, rear-wheel drive, two-seat automobile built by Caparo Vehicle Technologies, founded by design director Ben Scott-Geddes and engineering director Graham Halstead,.....
The Solectria Force is an electric car built on a base model Geo Metro (Suzuki Swift). The company built around 400 of these vehicles, buying them in without drivetrain. There is a single speed transmission.....
A very special and rare Ashley Sportiva from 1965, only 72 are made this year. It has the Ford V6 engine and manual 4-speed, it is the Original and once rebuilt engine.
Has got Belgian numberplates.....
The Benz Patent-Motorwagen (or motorcar), built in 1886, is widely regarded as the world's first automobile. The original cost of the vehicle in 1885 was $1,000 (equivalent to $26,337 in 2016). This.....
A beautiful and rare Lasalle 340 coupe from 1930 with nice features such as the Dickey seat and the optional heater system, this coupe model is hard to find nowadays and is a exclusive classic car......